Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Quirk #6

I am addicted to writing implements and the paper they are used upon.

In this modern day of putting everything in a digital file stored on a central server, or a flash drive on your keychain, I still do a large amount of work on paper. In fact, most of the time, I have great difficulty working on anything except paper. To the degree that I tend to duplicate work, simply because I am compelled to work it out on paper first, then enter it into its digital format.

Along these lines, I am a menace to my bank account when entering an office supply store. My most recent decadence was a couple of engineer's computation pads... Which I absolutely adore, in part because I grew up stealing them from my dad but mostly because when it comes to working on paper, there is no better paper to do it on. It's tint lends itself to being easily read, and the faint grid pattern leads to the neatest of writing and figure drawing. The fun part? When you photo copy it, there is no grid, no tint -- just what you wrote on it, and a perfect set of margins. Oh yeah, and no bleeding through either. It's the smoothest, silkiest, leak and smudge free paper I've ever used... For work anyway.

When it comes to personal writing purposes, Claire Fontaine notebooks are piled up on my shelves, on my kitchen table, and anywhere else I can think to leave them. They're expensive. I won't deny that. But if you are a writer of any type (as in, physically writing), it is worth the expense. I have friends that I've turned on to this rather small line of stationary/notebooks, and they have never turned back. Again, smooth silky paper, no smudges, no leaks, and its quite heavier weight than most paper, so does not tear or crumple easily.

Hmmm... This is starting to sound like a stationary ad... I'll switch to pens.

I think I'm the only person on the face of the earth that has pen-gasms. I walk down the pen aisle of any store (any store that has more than bic ball points that is), and I get all hot and bothered. I actually coo over pens. As such, I am incredibly picky about what kind of pens I use.

I can't stand anything other than the finest, most elegant point. Which of course means that I absolutely refuse to use a normal ball point pen. Ball point pens should all be burned at the stake, and a ban put on ever producing them again, imo... But I don't care much for a pure felt tip either, as the tend to warp over time. Instead, there are two types of pen that I will happily use, my favorite being a fountain pen. Unfortunately, the last one of these I had was rather calously snapped in half by an overzealous toddler who had managed his way into the depths of my purse while I wasn't paying the closest of attention... Which nearly resulted in his very quick demise. But I held myself back. It was only a pen after all... *chokes on her words* ONLY a pen... ACK. *cries* I still miss that pen. It was beautiful. But I can't quite afford the hundred or so dollars it would cost to replace it. [If anyone would care to replace it for me *ahem* hint hint *ahem* I will gladly pick out a suitable model at your request]

The other type is much more readily obtained from a normal store -- rollerball pens. Ultra fine point. In as many colors other than black as possible. I personally have never cared much for black ink. It seems so blah. And when you photo copy it, you can't tell it from the original. Blue, again, is a bit boring, but only because it is so overused. I much prefer colors like purple and green. Occasionally even red.

When I used a fountain pen, I used to mix my own colors of ink... Not entirely reccomended mind you, but you'd be surprised the tints one can come up with simply by "forgetting" to clean the nib between color switches.

Anyway, yeah, I'm addicted. I don't deny it. It's one of the few creature comforts I indulge myself in lately -- pens and paper -- and remarkably, they can be practical =)

4 comments:

  1. You've certainly turned me on to Claire Fontaine!! I bought two smallish notebooks last Friday at Scriptura for taking notes while people watching. I also have a small notepad I keep in my bag. Only problem is, the location of Scriptura I went to seems to have a dwindling supply of CF. I might have to visit the second location even though it's somewhat out of my way.

    As for pens, I don't mind ballpoints, but if I use black, it must be a heavy black. There's some generic brand whose black is more grey. Bleh. And I finally realised that I'm okay with rollerballs as long as it's the ultra fine tip.

    Email me the fountain pen which sends you into orgasmic bliss and I'll see what I can do about getting it for you.

    xx ~Sin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that means I've got to head over to the MontBlanc store in the mall...

    Normally I avoid this store like the plague, since I'm afraid if I were to enter it, I'd only leave it after buying their most expensive fountain pen... And the last I saw, the most expensive fountain pen they had was somewhere along the lines of 10k USD.

    Yes, it was a solid platinum body, adorned with a complex pattern of diamonds and rubies, with a platinum nib. *sigh* One can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no shame (small shame) in admitting my love for mechanical pencils and click erasers.
    People snap off my click erasers if I don't hide them well, and then I have no choice but to hate those people forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eraser abuse is not tolerated in my household...

    I use block style erasers, and poking holes in them with your pencil point, or writing things on them, results in the cruel and unusual punishment of the perpitrator.

    Perhaps a similar institution would be appropriate in your case?

    ReplyDelete