Tuesday, June 12, 2007

101 Quirks About Me

This is something that a friend of mine has been doing on her blog, and since I've been short of ideas of things to post about lately, I thought I might take up the habit.

Quirk #1 --

I hate wearing shoes. In fact, the only reason I wear shoes at all is because I hate burning/cutting my feet worse.

When I was growing up, we (my mom, my sister and I) all went barefoot constantly. Shoes were not a requirement for leaving the house -- they were only a requirement if we were going somewhere that would be dangerous for our cute toes. Running around in the back yard, for example, did not require shoes. Playing at the beach, or in the grass at a park, or climbing trees did not require shoes. Heck, going to the grocery store didn't require shoes, as long as we were content to sit in the cart instead of walk around.

At home, we NEVER wore shoes. Or socks for that matter. We had hardwood floors, and even in the dead of winter when it was freezing cold we didn't put anything on our feet.

For a brief period of time I wouldn't even wear shoes when walking to and from school. The only reason I stopped doing that was because of the one time that I actually ended up with serious burns on the soles of my feet from walking across asphalt in 90 degree weather.

If I have to wear shoes, they're usually slip on's of some sort, or sandals, or flip flops that I don't have to wear socks with. And the moment I'm anywhere that I can remove them, I do.

I take my shoes off at my desk at work.
I take my shoes off in the car on long drives.
I take my shoes off while sitting in restaurants.
I take my shoes off the INSTANT I get home.

See, I went barefoot so much as a kid (and I'm sure that partially had to do with the cost of shoes, as well as the fact that my mother is a total batik wearing hippie at heart) that now my feet feel completely and totally trapped in shoes. To the degree that I'd even go so far as to say that my feet get claustrophobic.

As such, I am constantly confused by my BF. He forgets to take his shoes off. And he never takes off his socks. I mean never. Except to shower (Well, and for one other activity... No naked men in socks for me!). He even sleeps in them! I can't comprehend how he can stand to have his feet boxed up all the time like that. Meh.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like shoes either.

    I prefer bare feets.

    I got blistered soles once. And only once.

    The BF sounds like my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to go with backless shoes. They can be kicked off anywhere.
    It seems to reduce my top running speed, but since I only run when being chased by wild animals the impact on my life is minimal.
    I go sockless an average of 20 minutes a day, though.
    For the record, fluffy, awful, white tube socks are a preference. If I'm going to look like a sock-clad freak, I'm going all the way with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO.

    What is it with men and socks? I don't think I know one single guy who ever goes sockless anywhere. Are you afraid that your hairy toes are going to get you confused with hobbits or something??

    ReplyDelete