Monday, June 11, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Different.

So all last week I was sick. Went home from work on Monday with a fever and stomach cramps... And things just got worse from there. So Thursday I end up in my doctor's office, with her grilling me about what I ate on Sunday and Monday, and how many time's I'd been to the restroom, and what those trips to the restroom consisted of (in great detail... ick), and was anyone else sick, and so on and so on. What was the verdict? Food poisoning. And the treatment? The rest of the week at home doing nothing, lots of gatorade, and the same antibiotic that they give people for Anthrax.

Yeah, you read that right. And yeah, its as bad as it sounds. I spent a good 3 days cursing the stuff and wondering which was worse: The sickness? Or the cure?

In anycase, I'm feeling better now, and am back at work, wasting time between menial tasks.

And now for something completely different...

I'm starting to think that every time I go out for a smoke, a little sign appears over my head that says (in brightly blinking neon, with an arrow pointed down at my head): "Information Kiosk"

Why do I think that, you ask? (Okay, so you didn't ask. Just pretend that you did.) Well, it seems that every time I step outside my building, someone is asking me for directions.

The other day, someone asks me if the building I'm standing in front of is on Haste street.

I give her a funny look and say, "This is Hearst street."
She looks at me deadpan and asks, "Is there a difference?"
Me: "Yes"
What I wanted to say: "Yeah, the difference is that Haste is about a mile south of here. Enjoy your 20 minute walk."
Oy.

I would need to borrow someone else's hands and feet to be able to count on fingers and toes how many times I've been asked in the past 3 weeks: "Can I get to campus from here?"
Note: If you are "here" you are already on campus. Ahem.

I went out for a smoke after lunch today, and was talking with a co worker, when someone comes up to me and asks "is this the civil engineering building?" Of course, it's not... But I don't remember exactly which building is the civil engineering building. There are simply too many engineering buildings on campus to remember them all. So my co worker and I are listing off buildings to eachother, and naming the departments they cover...

"Evans?"
"No, that's math"
"Oh. What about Davis?"
"I don't know what's in Davis, but I don't think it's Civil"
"Well its not the Hearst Mining building..."
"Sibley?"
"That's not even a building. Its just an auditorium."
"Oh right."
"Etcheverry?"
"No, thats Mechanical"
"Um... O'Brien?"
"Chemistry. What's Mc Laughlin?"
"I think that's Civil"
"You sure?"
"Well, its not physics, thats for sure."
(Person asking for directions breaks in, albeit hesitantly): "Mc Laughlin sounds familiar?"
"That must be it then"
(Proceeded to give lengthy and convoluted directions)
Note: Just because someone is standing in the middle of a college campus, having a discussion about the goings on of said college campus, that doesn't necessarily mean they know which department is in what building. They have maps for these things. Use them.

I hope they ended up in the right place...

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering where you were last week, but I was too afraid to ask...

    And if you have that blinking light over your head, use it to your advantage and create mayhem!!!

    ~Sin~

    ReplyDelete