Friday, June 22, 2007

Staff Depreciation Day

Wednesday was Staff Depreciation Day.

What? I'm making typos? I should have typed Staff Appreciation Day? Nooooo... I'm not making any typos. I intended it to read exactly that. You see, ever since I've come to work here, "staff appreciation day" has gotten cheaper and cheaper, and more and more insulting.

The first one of these things I ever got to attend, we were encouraged to bring our families with us, and partake of a huge barbeque, and play carnival games, and dance to live music all afternoon. Not to mention, bring home lots of free stuff, like t-shirts and mugs and note pads and pens and, and, and.

The second one was still a huge barbeque with carnival games, live music and loads of free stuff, but we weren't allowed to bring our families.

The third one was a much smaller barbeque (as in, one per person type thing), with carnival games, live music, and a little bit of free stuff.

The fourth one was a small barbeque, really stupid carnival games (as in, I think someone made them in their backyard), live music, and even less free stuff.

The fifth one was a rationed barbeque, for which we were required to show staff ID, the games may have well not existed, the live music was so lame it hurt my ears, and the "free stuff" consisted of a really lame looking t-shirt.

This year, year 6, wasn't even a barbeque. The university cafeteria catered premade sandwiches and bags of something that was supposed to resemble popcorn. There was no live music... At least, if there was, it hadn't shown up by the time I did (and I went late). And the "free stuff" was now not even a lame t-shirt, but was a sports bottle (you know, the OLD kind, made of thick rubbery plastic, that makes the water taste like plastic), and a pen.

Oh yes, we staff are sooo appreciated that they keep cutting the funding used to appreciate us.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Yeah. That's shit.

    It seems that the ones who make a business actually run... the ones without whom there would BE no company... always get shit on.

    I am currently reading a James Patterson book and finding it VERY difficult to dislike the antagonists. They're murdering heads of corporations that shit on the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably have a hard time disliking them as well. There have been way too many times around here that I've wished a manager would choke on their own words hard enough to suffocate... Or fall down the stairs or something.

    Of course, now that I've written this here, one of them WILL suffer one of those fates, and I'll be the prime suspect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'll call and tell them it was cos of your happy wishes. LOL

    ReplyDelete