Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Quirk #2

I have a chronic oral fixation.

Seriously. I just about always have something in my mouth. If I, by rare chance, don't already have something in my mouth, I'm trying to find something worth putting there.

I have no idea where this fixation comes from, but its ruined many pens, and countless shirt cuffs and collars. Not to mention the pull strings on any hoodies I might happen to own...

It's single handedly responsible for my smoking addiction (I don't think I'm actually addicted to the nicotine -- though I probably am -- I think its just something I do to occupy my lips), and the several pounds of extra weight I carry around.

So far today, I've...

Reduced a Starbucks straw to shreds of plastic.
Chewed on my finger nails (not bitten them off, just kinda chewed on them).
Bitten my fingers.
Chewed on the end of a pen (or three...).
Chewed on the cap to my bottle of iced tea.
Chewed on the cord for my headphones (not hard mind you).
Gone through a good couple ounces of sesame crackers.
Smoked way too many cigarettes.
Gone through 3 pieces of gum, each chewed for so long it made my jaw hurt.

If I were wearing a long sleeve shirt, I'd probably have chewed a hole in the cuff by now, but I'm wearing a tank top, so I haven't eaten any clothing yet today.

It's even bad enough that I grind my teeth in my sleep, and have even broken a tooth that way. Of course, my doctor says thats because of stress, but secretly I think its because I just don't have anything to chew on while I'm sleeping.

I'd like to think there's a cure for this out there somewhere... But I know there isn't, and I'm just a freak. *shrug* Oh well.

It does have it's plus sides though *wink wink, nod nod, blush, giggle*

1 comment: