Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What In The HELL Is Going On?

So this morning I wake up and I turn on the news. The weather comes on, the traffic comes on, and then suddenly I'm looking at a mugshot of my Middle School science teacher, and hearing all about how she's been arrested on sexual assault charges for molesting one of her students.

WHAT THE HELL?


You can read a version of the story here: http://www.nbc11.com/news/13279724/detail.html?taf=bay

You can read another version of the story here: http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_5846770

I left a comment on this one, which reads as follows:

This story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. One person has come forward, 13 years after the fact (why not sooner?), to accuse Mrs. Sorg of being a sex offender. That same person alleges that the crimes took place not during an age range that she would have been in middle school, but during an age range that she would have been in high school, and not a student of Mrs. Sorg.

Personally, I have to wonder if these allegations are false in some way. They simply do not add up, given Mrs. Sorg's history of being an amazing teacher who was never publically inappropriate with any of her students.

I've had lecherous teachers. I've even had one who later had sexual harrasment charges made against him. No one was surprised by that -- he was a bit of a pedophile, and everyone knew it -- especially his students.

Mrs. Sorg, on the other hand, never EVER exhibited any of the tell-tale signs of a sex offender. She never looked at her students in an inappropriate way. She never touched her students in an inappropriate way. She never said inappropriate things, or brought up inappropriate topics. I am extremely shocked to see these kinds of accusations made against her.

Also, growing up in Albany, I'm familiar with the teeny tiny police department -- a police department that has never had to deal with anything even close to this level of severity. I have to wonder if they really have the expertise to properly investigate such a claim.

There are a lot of things about this story that just don't add up for me... And I'm sure they don't add up for a lot of people.

The vagueness of the story, and the differences of the facts published by the press certainly doesn't help the matter.

NBC reported that Mrs. Sorg was arrested in "a home in Berkeley" whereas you're saying she was arrested in Oakland. NBC said that the search warrants were executed after her arrest, you're saying the searches were part of the previous 6 month investigation.

Like I said -- Things just don't add up here.

I hope someone in media can get us the real story -- the full story
.

I'm in shock. Really and truly in shock. I keep sifting through any information I can find on the matter to try and make sense of it -- to no avail.

You know, you always see this stuff on the news, but you never think you're going to see someone from your home town; someone you had as a teacher.

Its just too weird.

1 comment:

  1. I smell a rat. I mean if a woman gets raped, does she wait 10/15 years before reporting it? No, cos then she's not likely to get anywhere. Why, then, would a teenager who's being molested by a teacher wait that long to report it? You cannot tell me that anyone would keep silent for so long. That's bullshit.

    ReplyDelete