Monday, May 21, 2007

You're Kidding... Right?

To my boss:

You came to my desk this morning, to ask why it is that Purchasing needs 6 weeks of lead time on requisitions over $25k. And while I answered your question politely, what I really wanted to say was:

You're fucking kidding me, right?

You've been working here for a good 12 years longer than I have, and probably make about triple the amount of money I do. You're supposed to be the one with the expertise, and you're the one who's supposed to answer these types of questions for all of us underlings. But no... You're coming to ME to find out the answers to these questions.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that in the 18 years you've spent working here, you never once bothered to find out why Purchasing needs 6 weeks lead time on requisitions over $25k? Are you seriously trying to tell me that in the 18 years you've spent working here, you don't know about the policy that says items costing more than $25k must researched to see if we can get a lower price? That you don't know there's STATE LAW that says we must do this?

And then you had the gall to ask me why the balance of a purchase order was the way it was -- after I had already researched the thing 2 times, and explained it to you a good 10 times over the past 3 weeks.

You're fucking kidding me... You've GOT to be fucking kidding me. I know your office is a mess, and you can't find any of the important documentation anyone submits to you for approval, but are you really so completely out of it that you can't recall a simple explanation that you've heard 10 times already? Really? Even my 8 year old can do better than that.

I'd like to think that you're testing me, to make sure that I know these things... But I can tell by the bewildered look on your face every time you ask me that you're not.

The sad thing is, when the department was re-organizing, and all the managers had to re-apply for their jobs, I applied for your job. And they turned me down.

They must be just as stupid as you are.

2 comments:

  1. They must be just as stupid as you are.


    'course they are!! It never ceases to amaze me how fabulous California's universities are supposed to be for all sorts of innovative stuff and yet the core of the particular school you're at is run by the most complete collection of imbeciles I've ever heard of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed an irony I have done much struggling with over the years.

    The most prestigious technical university in the world is relegated to doing all their book keeping ON PAPER, instead of with a streamlined electronic document control system like even some small businesses have.

    Its sad. So, so, sad.

    ReplyDelete