Thursday, November 04, 2004

helpless

what do you say, when there's nothing to say?
what do you do, when there's nothing to do?
how do you heal someone's broken heart, when they don't want it healed?

i'm trying to just be there... but i'm not sure how to do that... i'm ready to listen, happy to listen, but they won't talk...

and i cant even identify, i dont know what they're feeling, i dont know how bad it hurts... i've never been through that... i've never had someone crush my heart under their heel.

i was always the one who did the crushing... a pre-emptive strike, if you will. hurting them before they could hurt me. leaving them before they could leave me.

so i dont know what to say, i dont know what to do, i dont know how to help... but i want to say something, i want to do something, i want to help somehow...

if you're reading this... tell me how... please...

4 comments:

  1. there is nothing you can say, nothing you can do. they have to heal on their own. unless you've been crushed like they have, you can never know the pain. I've been on that side of the fence. I know the pain of having my soul ripped out by someone I thought loved me, but was lied to for years on end. I'm still healing from that but it's getting better every day even though it's been over a year now.
    Tess, just keep being a friend. don't stop doing what you've been doing for your friend, whatever it has been. that's been my solace, my "port in the storm" if you will, has been having friends there when I feel the need to talk. just don't push them to talk and they will come around when it's time for them to.
    if you really feel that you *have* to do something, why not send them some flowers, or maybe a card? just a little reminder for them that they are not alone and that they do have someone they can go to when they need a shoulder.
    whatever you do, just don't bring up their situation.

    just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your two cents are much appreciated :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "i was always the one who did the crushing... a pre-emptive strike, if you will. hurting them before they could hurt me. leaving them before they could leave me."

    no offense, but is that was *really* happened between you and your ex, or soon-to-be ex?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, if you go read the post about my failed marriage, you'll see that it is.

    emotionally, i left him long before we left each other physically. the only reason i stayed physically for as long as i did, was because of my son, and my ex knows it.

    ReplyDelete