Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My Hand Up

My hand up today came in a rather unusual form. It came in the form of my interview.

I think I did pretty well overall, and made a point to exude confidence even when I wasn't in the least bit confident by any means. When asked the one question that I didn't know how to answer, I responded with "In that situation, I wouldn't feel comfortable making a decision without doing further research," and was rewarded with a small appreciative "hmmm..."

I was able to coax my interviewer into laughter at one point, and impressed her with current knowledge of research projects, and even managed to name drop without actually name dropping. I had her taking notes like mad when I started talking about the medical research projects that "make me feel like the work I do here is infinitely important, not just to the research being done, but to society as well." OH MY GOD!! Do I know how to sweet talk or WHAT?

The one issue I had with the interview was that it was a phone interview, which not only seemed completely unprofessional, but also made it difficult to judge the reactions to what I was saying, and even made it hard to see if she was remotely understanding it in the first place. There was no body language for me to read, and I felt like it left me with a rather large disadvantage.

Aside from that, I think I did exceptionally well, and am hoping for an email requestiong a formal, face to face interview.

So that lifted my spirits, and even helped to stave off the migraine thats been threatening to implode my skull all day.

I also got a chance to talk to my ex about my current guy problems... And he actually had some good advice, and was able to make me feel slightly less pathetic. Yay him! I've already left the boy a phone message saying that I'm not going to be available tonite... so, I think that when I get home today, I'm taking my pills early, and going straight to bed. My mind is on overload, and my body isn't far behind. I've only got an hour left before I can leave, and believe you me, I will be running for the door!

1 comment:

  1. Cat here xx

    Fingers and toes crossed for you once again, Tess

    Cat xx

    ReplyDelete